Ingress players around the world are waiting for the release of the next Ingress update due to a video showing 5 new portal mods that will be rolling out very soon. The portal mods will change the dynamics of the game considerably, making it challenging for the higher level players out there.
Very little is known about these mods other than the names, but the people over at decodeingress.me have a few ideas what the could be.
These new portal mods come to the game after an update that allows players to completely change ownership of a portal by using a Virus. A player using a virus can claim ownership of the portal and all resonators and portal mods on it, allowing for dramatic changes to the field in bigger cities where there’s a lot of action going on.
The upcoming portal mods are as follows, but be aware the descriptions are just my opinion and could be completely wrong.
- Heat sink – Possibly to reduce the burnout duration, or allow more hacks before the portal hits the burnout stage (usually 4 hacks in a 4 hour period)
- Force Amplifier – Not really sure, but it could be an additional boost to other portal mods… say an extra 10% shield for example.
- Link Amplifier – My guess is to increase the possible range of links
- Multi-Hack – This one sounds fairly obvious but guessing it will allow more hacks before the portal gets hot. I think this would make a great combination with the heat sink if you happen to live near a portal farm that doesn’t get attacked very often.
- Turret – This one has done the rounds since the game was first launched and is shown in a video posted a few days ago. The turret increases the rate of fire of a portal when it’s being hacked or attacked.
Once we have more information we will let you know. The update will be heading to the Play Store very soon. As always, if you’re not playing ingress already, you can request an invite from ingres.com, or ask one of your nerdy gamer friends if they can invite you.