Riding the wave of their LTE expansion, EE has attained the million customer milestone. EE was the first carrier in the UK to launch their 4G network and has been hard at work expanding to reach more markets. EE CEO Olaf Swantee recognizes Britain wants access even in rural areas. He has committed to continue the rollout until this is a reality.
Britain has some of the fastest 4G adoption rates in the world, and EE’s expansion certainly proves this.The company’s goal was to reach a million customers by the end of the year. They’ve beaten that goal with four months to spare.
EE is offering half off any accessory £100 or less to their customers as a thank you for reaching this milestone. The offer will be received via text message starting Monday, the 9th. This message will be valid for redemption until September 19th in stores only.
It should be noted that Vodafone and O2 have only just launched their LTE offerings. Three will be launching 4G in December. Only time will tell if EE’s customer base will continue to grow at this pace with more than one choice for superfast speeds.
[toggle title=”Press Release” state=”close”]
BRITAIN LOVES 4G:
EE REACHES ONE MILLION CUSTOMERS AT
· More than one million customers enjoy superfast mobile speeds on EE, just 10 months after launch, and four months ahead of target
· 4G adoption rates in Britain among the fastest in the world
· EE to thank its one million 4GEE customers with a special in-store discount on the latest accessories
· 4G transforming mobile connectivity in the UK as EE’s 4G Mobile Living Index reveals how superfast mobile is changing the way people live and work
9th September 2013 – EE, the UK’s most advanced digital communications company, today announced that Britain has set one of the fastest 4G adoption rates in the world with one million customers already embracing the convenience and reliability of superfast 4G mobile services1. EE has achieved its goal of signing up one million 4G customers by the end of the year, four months sooner than expected.
EE launched the UK’s first 4G service on October 30th 2012 and since then adoption has been driven by EE’s rapid country-wide network rollout. More than 100 towns and cities are now able to enjoy 4G at speeds which are not only the fastest in the UK, but are also faster than networks in the rest of Europe, the US and Japan.
To thank its one million 4GEE customers, EE is giving each and every one 50% off one of the latest accessories in-store2. Details of the offer will be sent directly to customers via text message.
Olaf Swantee, CEO, EE, says: “The UK mobile sector saw a huge shift 10 months ago with the launch of 4G from EE. We set a new standard for UK mobile networks, and the way consumers and businesses are using their mobile devices in this country has been transformed.
“We have seen one of the fastest adoption rates in the world and I’m immensely proud to announce today that we have reached a significant milestone – one million 4G customers.
“We know that all communities across Britain want 4G, not just those in the big urban centres, and we’re committed to continuing to roll out superfast mobile at this record breaking pace.
“EE has the most attractive 4G pricing in the world – and we’re also gearing up to launch a new range of innovative plans, providing even more ways for people to get the fastest speeds and the best value plans.”
4G Transforming Connectivity for Consumers and Businesses in Britain
EE’s first 4G Mobile Living Index revealed that:
· Nearly half of users are using fewer or no public WiFi spots since using 4G, as faster, more reliable mobile speeds give people the freedom to stream, share and download more on the move
· A third of UK 4G users stream more content over 4G, than they did on 3G, with BBC iPlayer, Netflix and Sky Go the favourite TV services and tablets driving 60% more video streaming on smartphones
· 4G is also enabling people to go beyond streaming and browsing, with 19% of users shopping more on their smartphone or tablet, than they did with 3G
Business and 4G
4G is proving to be a catalyst for business growth with companies of all sizes being transformed by superfast mobile speeds. From London’s Air Ambulance cutting down critical response times and Kier reducing the time it takes to set up remote construction sites, to press photographers getting their shots to picture desks well ahead of competitors; entire industries are becoming smarter and more effective with 4G.