When it comes to File Managers (FM) it’s is pretty much a personal choice but, some just use the stock FM but, with a little surfing around you can find really good FM’s.
I much prefer ones that open dual screens but, most of the time this is only available on tablets or, in landscape mode on mobiles, as the dual screen is very hard to read in portrait mode on some mobiles. But with screen size getting bigger all that is about to change with a new kid on the block.
Now datFM from XDA Senior Member Zorge.R, which is still in Alpha-Beta, is getting more functionality as the weeks go by. Two panels capable of displaying 2 folders side by side. Because of this feature, users can now easily manage, copy, paste files and folders between multiple files easier and faster. At the bottom of the app a bar displays the familiar buttons such as copy, cut, paste and share among others. At the top of both panels you will see the back button and a button to jump to first file/folder are located. DatFM also offers root-level file management capabilities for rooted users. The dev does warn you ‘This is a pre-beta, do not use your important data’.
Besides the customary fixes in the latest release v0.1.3b, Samba has also been added.
- Two active panel
- Batch file transfer, including directories
- Batch Rename, including directories
- Kamikaze Mode! For the brave! (disabled by default)
- Root mode (disabled by default)
- Customizable UI, hiding various elements, for minimalism fans and useful for devices with small screens.
- Save paths on exit (can be disabled)
- Focus on the folder from which you just came out (can be disabled)
- Ability to instantly open to the newly created directory (can be disabled)
- Support for compression and decompression through ZArchiver 0.6.0 or higher (7zip, zip, tar, etc)
- Create a new directory, just click OK.
- Copy any line from file properties on click.
- “Open with”
- Counting and quick check md5
- Thumbnails for video, photos, apk
- Context menu on file icon click
THIS APPLICATION HAS ACCESS TO THE FOLLOWING:
- MODIFY OR DELETE THE CONTENTS OF YOUR USB STORAGE MODIFY OR DELETE THE CONTENTS OF YOUR SD CARD
- Allows the app to write to the USB storage. Allows the app to write to the SD card.
- TEST ACCESS TO PROTECTED STORAGE TEST ACCESS TO PROTECTED STORAGE
- Allows the app to test a permission for USB storage that will be available on future devices. Allows the app to test a permission for the SD card that will be available on future devices.
Zorge.R, the developer said:
My phone was burned from the charger. I only have a tablet. I began to actively use and faced with the fact that all the file managers, were either overwhelmed or do not fully use the features of tablets.So I decided to write a file manager that meets my needs and aimed at tablets.I do not have much free time, so the development is moving slowly.But from day to day be held release a version that supports Samba.I think this is a big step for datFM.There are no plans to monetize, the application will be free, or donate version will be made, but it will not happen soon.Plans to add: Samba, Ftp / sftp, Google Drive, a dark theme advanced pack/unpack function, searching and sorting.Support and development of the application will be durable enough for the next one/three year. I haven’t plans to stop development, on some point.
Cost Free at the moment.
The ability to not only transfer files but also folders is a great feature. The dual pane in portrait mode looks excellent on my One S and is very clean looking on my Xoom tablet.With the developer adding more features this file manager can only get better.
This is definitely one app that you need to read the latest changes over at the XDA thread