Sony has officially released the Xperia ion at CES 2012, the first LTE smartphone from them to be available exclusively on AT&T in the 2nd Quarter 2012. It will be packing a brilliant 4.6-inch HD display (1280 X 720), a 12MP rear-facing camera and a front-facing camera with HD recording on both, 16GB internal storage, a 1.5GHz dual-core processor, and will launch with Gingerbread. Click past the break for the full press release.
Xperia ion revealed – first LTE smartphone from Sony available exclusively from AT&T
• HD powerhouse – two HD cameras, 4.6-inch1 HD screen and HDMI-out support
• Unmatched Android camera experience in the US with 12 megapixel rear camera
• Effortless sharing of content with easy connectivity across multiple screens within the world of Sony
• PlayStation™ Certified and access to entertainment services from Sony Entertainment Network
January 9, 2012, Las Vegas, Nev. – Xperia™ ion, the first LTE smartphone from Sony®*, was introduced today at the 2012 International CES and will be available exclusively in the U.S. from AT&T in the second quarter.
Xperia ion from Sony enables easy connectivity with multiple screens for consumers looking to share and enjoy content on whichever screen they choose, whether it’s TV, smartphone, laptop or tablet.
Xperia ion from Sony has a stunning 4.6-inch HD display (1280 X 720 pixels) that provides a visual brilliance for superior viewing experiences. For photo enthusiasts, Xperia ion features a new Fast Capture innovation to make sure life’s unexpected moments are not missed: the HD camera goes from standby mode to first shot in 1.5 seconds.1 The impressive images taken with the 12-megapixel rear camera are unmatched by any other Android smartphone. Additionally, both rear- and front-facing cameras deliver HD recording capabilities.
“With Xperia ion, we’re bringing together several firsts that will take users beyond the smartphone,” said Paul Hamnett, President, Sony Ericsson North America. “Designed to deliver a seamless experience across the multiple screens we use to play, watch, listen, and share, Xperia ion is the gateway to entertainment when and – most importantly – where you want it.”
Xperia ion users will be able to access the richest entertainment experiences from Sony Entertainment Network**. Music Unlimited offers a global catalogue of 12 million unique songs while Video Unlimited has the latest Hollywood blockbusters and TV shows from all major studios***.
Xperia ion is also PlayStation™ Certified, guaranteeing a high quality smartphone gaming experience.****
Xperia ion is launching on Android platform 2.3 (Gingerbread).
Key Features for Xperia ion:
- · 4.6-inch HD Reality display with Mobile BRAVIA® Engine with HD resolution screen (1280 x 720), as well as rear (1080p) and front (720p) cameras for HD recording.
- · 1.5GHz dual-core processor for fast browsing and content download, which can be stored on the internal 16GB flash storage.
- · 12MP rear camera with Sony Exmor R™ for mobile with fast-capture to go from standby to first shot in less than two seconds.
- · HD sharing through DLNA, HDMI and BRAVIA Sync to quickly and easily stream content on other screens.
For full details on all products news, please visit the press room and the product blog: blogs.sonyericsson.com/
*For illustrative purposes only. Not for commercial use or re-sale. Use of “Sony” brand subject to regulatory approval.
**Sony Entertainment Network services are subject to availability by region, please see www.sonyentertainmentnetwork.
*** The number of available songs varies by region.
**** Subject to market availability.
- ENDS -
1) Facts and features may vary depending on local variant. 2) Operational times are affected by network preferences, type of SIM card, connected accessories and various activities e.g. playing games. Kit contents and colour options may differ from market to market. The full range of accessories may not be available in every market. 3) Actual size of screen is approximately 4.55”. Camera capabilities are accurate as the date of this release.
© Sony Ericsson Mobile Communications AB, 2011
The Liquid Identity logo is trademark or registered trademark of Sony Ericsson Mobile Communications AB. Sony, Walkman and Zappin are trademarks or registered trademarks of Sony Corporation. Ericsson is the trademark or registered trademark of Telefonaktiebolaget LM Ericsson. Additional information regarding trademarks may be located on our website at:www.sonyericsson.com/cws/
Other product and company names mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners. Any rights not expressly granted herein are reserved. All terms are subject to change without prior notice.
Sony Ericsson Mobile Communications AB, SE-221 88 Lund, Sweden.
Printed in January 2010, R1A
About Sony Ericsson
Sony Ericsson is a 50:50 joint venture between Sony Corporation (“Sony”) and Telefonaktiebolaget LM Ericsson (“Ericsson”). In October 2011 it was announced by Sony and Ericsson that Sony will acquire Ericsson’s stake in the company and that Sony Ericsson will become a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony. The transaction is expected to close in January 2012 and is subject to regulatory approvals. Over the years Sony Ericsson has brought together the best communication technologies with superior entertainment user experiences to create its Xperia™ line of the ‘most entertaining smartphones’ in the mobile handset industry. With its global corporate functions in London, Sony Ericsson has sales and marketing operations in all major regions of the world, as well as manufacturing in China, and product development sites in China, Japan, Sweden and Silicon Valley, California. For more information, please visit www.sonyericsson.com/press.
FOR MEDIA INFORMATION PLEASE CONTACT:
Burson-Marsteller for Sony Ericsson
Product images: www.sonyericsson.com/press