MoDaCo founder Paul O’Brien has done it again! The most simplistic root method for the Nexus 4 has been released.
Superboot is a boot.img that when booted, will root your device the first time you boot (installing su and the superuser APK). No need to flash any partitions, no need to mess around with ADB, no messing with the contents of your data partition, no overwriting the shipped ROM on your device, just boot the boot image using the instructions below and you’re done!
APPLY THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!
- Superboot r1 – DOWNLOAD (ROMraid) – MD5: 824ec82dfa9ecd0c411dad9121f1f32d
How to use Superboot – Windows, Linux and OSX
– Download the Superboot zip file above and extract to a directory
– Put your device in bootloader mode – Turn off the phone then turn on with the ‘volume up’ and ‘volume down’ buttons both pressed to enter the bootloader (as pictured below)
– WINDOWS – double click ‘superboot-windows.bat’
– MAC – Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type ‘chmod +x superboot-mac.sh’ followed by ‘./superboot-mac.sh’
– LINUX – Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type ‘chmod +x superboot-linux.sh’ followed by ‘./superboot-linux.sh’
Note: If you are using a retail device, you may need to unlock the bootloader first, using ‘./fastboot-windows oem unlock’ (or the appropriate version for your machine, included in this zip). Note that the OEM unlock sequence wipes your device, so consider doing an ‘adb backup’ beforehand if required!
Now all I need to do is actually get me one of these!