Hopefully you all by now are aware of the Microsoft vs Android Device Manufacturers issue that sees Microsoft get a share of the profit for every device sold.
LG are the latest company to enter into the agreement and with no details being disclosed on how much Microsoft will take from each handset sale you can bet money on one thing… the cost will ultimately be passed on to the consumer so yeah, thanks MicroShite. Click past the break for what Microsoft has to say.
Microsoft attorney Horacio Gutierrez, said.
“We are pleased to have built upon our longstanding relationship with LG to reach a mutually beneficial agreement. Together with our 10 previous agreements with Android and Chrome OS device manufacturers, including HTC, Samsung and Acer, this agreement with LG means that more than 70 percent of all Android smartphones sold in the U.S. are now receiving coverage under Microsoft’s patent portfolio,” said Horacio Gutierrez, corporate vice president and deputy general counsel, Intellectual Property Group at Microsoft. “We are proud of the continued success of our program in resolving the IP issues surrounding Android and Chrome OS.”
Then LG spokesman Ken Hong told Android Central:
“We’re of course pleased we could come to amicable terms with Microsoft, whom LG has had a great working relationship with for years. This agreement allows both companies to move beyond the legal issues and get on with doing what both companies do best, which is developing products and delivering services that benefit consumers.”
So with this latest agreement it is estimated that 70% of Android handsets now sold in the US have some sort of revenue going to Microsoft and that leaves just 30% for the likes of Motorola to try holding out for in favour of Android.
Via: Android Central