A few days ago we let you know that CM9 for the HP TouchPad was nearing a state that it could be released, and now that day has come. Over on RootzWiki the CM9 Alpha was released this morning, and they made sure to note what the “Alpha 0” means:
That’s right, introducing CyanogenMod 9 for Touchpad, Alpha 0! That’s a “zero” as in “zero hardware-accelerated video”, “zero camera”, and “zero support!”
Here’s a nice list of what isn’t working, so you know what’ you’re dealing with:
- Hardware Video (OMX). As a result, Netflix does not work, YouTube works only only in non-HD videos.
- Audio is a mess. The microphone does not work. Work on the current libaudio solution has halted because we will eventually switch to a CAF libaudio.
- Camera does not work. The only libcamera.so that we have is from froyo and its closed source. There is a wrapper for QCOM gingerbread libcamera libraries that could likely be used as a basis to get our camera working.
- Market filters prevent some apps from being installed (this can partly solved by switching back to standard DPI settings(120, 160, 240). The current build is using 160 which fixes the market but makes everything look ugly and low resolution.
- Titanium Backup crashes the kernel. There’s an investigation in progress…There are reports that older versions do work.
- Most of the hardware problems from CM7 still exist in this CM9 alpha build.
- Gapps intended for CM7/Gingerbread will not work in CM9/ICS. If you choose to install GAPPS then you’ll need to get an updated compilation
- USB file transfers use MTP or PTP in Ice Cream Sandwich and Honeycomb. Traditional storage mounting is not supported in the Touchpad build.
So you say you want to build it for yourself? Well here you go!
The device repository is public with this alpha release and everybody can build their version now.
- Please submit all patches via Gerrit at http://review.cyanogenmod.com
- Device repository: http://github.com/Cy…e_hp_tenderloin
- Kernel repository: http://github.com/Cy…rnel-tenderloin
- Others(wifi, etc): http://github.com/Dalingrin
- Build instructions for any unusual steps and workarounds can be found in the build guide.
HOW DO I BUILD THIS?
See the guide here: