Android has hit another milestone, after the recent 10 billion app download mark, and this one is a big one. The Android Market now has over 400,000 applications, hitting that mark in late December of last year. Here are some key stats from App Store tracker Distimo:
- Android Market hit 200K available apps in April and 300K in August
- Nearly 2/3 (68%) of the available apps in the Market are free, up from 60% in April 2011
- Android Market has nearly 100,000 publishers, with developers publishing roughly 4.1 applications on average
- Android Market needed 2 more months to reach the 400K milestone, while Apple hit the mark in June 2011.
- Android Market needed 31 months to reach the 200K milestone, while Apple did so in only 22 months.
- BUT, the Android Market needed only 4 more months to hit 300K, while Apple needed 8 months to move from 200K to 300K, with the jump from 300K-400K taking 4 months vs 7 months for the Market and App Store respectively
This data definitely supports, and even emphasizes, the meteoric rise of Android as the leader in the mobile OS market, pun intended.