We’ve reported numerous times about the Carrier-IQ saga in the U.S., and how Senator Al Franken had issued a formal request that the “analytics” company respond to allegations of invasion of privacy. Sen. Franken received the response from Carrier-IQ and the carriers he had queried, and here is his response:
“I appreciate the responses I received, but I’m still very troubled by what’s going on,” said Sen. Franken. “People have a fundamental right to control their private information. After reading the companies’ responses, I’m still concerned that this right is not being respected. The average user of any device equipped with Carrier IQ software has no way of knowing that this software is running, what information it is getting, and who it is giving it to-and that’s a problem. It appears that Carrier IQ has been receiving the contents of a number of text messages-even though they had told the public that they did not. I’m also bothered by the software’s ability to capture the contents of our online searches-even when users wish to encrypt them. So there are still many questions to be answered here and things that need to be fixed.”
AT&T, Sprint responded so far from the U.S. carriers, with T-Mobile having until Tuesday, December 20 to respond. HTC and Samsung issued their response, with Motorola having the same deadline as T-Mobile.
It remains to be seen what will come of this, with numerous lawsuits currently in the works against the carriers and Carrier-IQ.